Matthias Saunders is a highly skilled and dynamic filmmaker with over 19 years of professional experience. Considered by many to be one of the top up-and-coming cinematographers in his generation, Matthias is also recognized as an innovative film producer and teacher as well. As a young veteran of 37 independent feature films, numerous national commercials, and over 10 top ten award-winning music videos, he brings “real world” experience to the table. Often referred to as “The Notorious D.O.P.”, his reputation for excellence, knowledge, and work ethic are unmatched.
1993 Graduate of New York University undergraduate Film Program. 1993-94 Resident Filmmaker Program at the International Film & Television Workshops, Rockport, ME. 2007-2010 Film & Video Department Head & Lead Instructor at the Institute of Production and Recording, Minneapolis, MN.
“When it comes to filmmaking, Matthias is kinda like Prince. He can do everything very very well,” says Aaron Friedman, who has been Matthias’s assistant for 3 years. “Since he has tons experience and can work in every department filmmaking-wise, he’s able to offer something a lot of others don’t: knowledge and information! He can tell you exactly how to achieve a desired result, and show you new creative ideas and technical perspectives. He has a very high success record as a teacher and workshop leader.”
★ Personal assistant to Conrad Hall, ASC
★ Assisted and trained under numerous cinematographers and members of the ASC, including Jeff Seckenndorf, Steven Burum ASC, Vilmos Sigmund ASC, Allen Daviau ASC, Curtis Clark ASC, and Robert Primes ASC
★ Member of the AATON Camera Team, a worldwide team of 24 cinematographers commissioned to document the Sydney 2000 Summer Olympic Games.
Partial List of Production Credits
• Prosper (2012) Director of Photography
• The Retirement Party (2011) Director of Photography
• Street Hassle (2010) Director of Photography
• The Scientist (2010) Director of Photography / Producer
• Roselita (2009) Director of Photography
• Never to Run (2008) Director of Photography
• Devils Grove (2007) Director of Photography
• Prison of the Psychotic Damned (2006) Director of Photography
• A Cold Blood (2005) Gaffer
• Nicklebag (2004) Director of Photography
• Murder Rap (2004) Director of Photography / Gaffer
• New World (2000) Director of Photography
• Cruel and Unusual (2000) Director of Photography / Gaffer
• Disoriented (1999) Director of Photography / Gaffer
• The Better Life (1999) Director of Photography
• Below the Belt (1999) Director of Photography